Out & About


Anyone who’s been reading my blog regularly for the past while knows that my “normal” routine these days usually consists of staying home, blogging more or less all day, and only getting out when absolutely necessary, which is once a week or two. Today was an exceptionally active day by comparison and I’m dead tired from all the running around, but it was worth it.

Here is what my day looked like:

9:27 a.m. Squeeze into my jeans, just barely. Muffin top again, yay. That reminds me that I haven’t shopped for sweatpants yet. Pack my camera and decide that even if I get just two pictures out of the day, it’ll be worth it.

9:47 a.m. Take a taxi to get to the loony bin for appointment with my shrink. I can barely sit in the cab because my jeans are too tight and cut through me. When I get there, my doctor is late as usual, so I quickly go take photos of the exterior of the building. The appointment is uneventful (other than confirmation that yes, I should get intensive therapy to work out my teenage years). I get a blood test and then I’m off.

11:32 a.m. The pavilion overlooks downtown, which is just a fifteen minute walk down Peel street, so I decide to make my way there, braving the -16C weather (3F). As it turns out, I’m appropriately dressed for the cold day today and don’t suffer from the cold. I’m headed for Chapters bookstore because after having blogged about Moleskines and debated their pros and cons, I’ve decided to treat myself to one or two of the pricey notebooks, figuring I’m due for a treat. I get a small notebook and a larger sketchpad, the idea for the sketchpad being that I will stop with this nonsense about “not being able to draw” and start doing some doodles or sketches or drawings in the coming days. I don’t know what I’ll use my notebook for yet, but I’ll figure it out. To write my haiku in maybe.

12:07 p.m. I take the metro two stops West to Atwater. I’m on my way to Future Shop to look at printers since the HP 3-in-1 I have needs repairing. I suspect it’s cheaper to buy a new one, and sure enough I’m told the repair would cost close to the price of a new printer, if not more. There happens to be a Mac rep on site who is all too happy to show me some of the awesome features on the iMac, a machine that practically sells itself on looks alone. Next thing you know I’m trying to figure out if I can afford it thinking maybe I’ll splurge and really treat myself. I manage to tear myself away from the luscious iMac all-in-one 20″ screen @ 1199.00 by reminding myself that it’s a sizeable portion of a plane ticket to France and/or Israel.
1:03 p.m. The printer is a bit heavy for me and I have other errands to run, so I ask the store to hold it for me, then make my way to Office Depot which is 2-3 blocks away. This might sound silly but I loooooove office supplies; pens and pads and folders and rows upon rows of stacked and ordered packaging. I buy a whole bunch of pens and pencils, for all that sketching I’ll be doing soon. I also manage to snap a few quick pics on the sly while I’m there.

1:36 p.m. I make my way to my pet store. Ever since I found out on technodoll’s blog that the food I’m feeding Fritz isn’t as good for him as I thought, I’ve been wanting to compare various kinds of organic foods before making the switch. There are at least half a dozen high quality foods for me to choose from there. I go with Fromm’s Gold which is holistic food made by a family-owned company and is corn, wheat and soy free. Best of all, it costs about the same as what I’ve been feeding Fritz before. I also decide to try out a different kind of cat litter since I am forever trying to find the ideal litter that won’t spread all over the floor or create too much dust (causing attendant allergies) and won’t cost me an arm and a leg. It seems a corn based formula might be the way to go so I decide to try a brand called World’s Best Cat Litter. Now let’s hope Fritz is into all these changes too (and yes, I do know I have to introduce him to his new food gradually).

2:10 p.m. Having made arrangements to have the food and litter delivered, I head back to the mall about 4-5 blocks away and go to Guido & Angelina where I know they do a big arugula salad, which some of you might remember was one of my big food phases. I have the salad with grilled chicken, comfortably sat by the window and feeling like the spoiled princess that I am.

2:55 p.m. I have in mind to follow through on the advice I’ve been given and finally go buy a few pairs of sweatpants. I go to a store called Sports Experts… it’s almost empty, but for some reason there are no clerks available, save for two guys who look too engrossed in their conversation to help me. I interrupt them and ask where the sweatpants are, and I’m shown the section where all sports pants are. The clerk rushes off before I get a chance to specify exactly what I’m looking for. After much rummaging I figure out that out of the whole section, they only have ONE pair of warm, fleece-lined sweatpants in XXL which, thankfully isn’t quite my size (yet?). Everything else is mostly lightweight yoga pants and I own a bunch of those already. They seem to mostly carry Nike, though I see Adidas and a couple of brands there too. No brand x, basic, cheap sweatpants in various colours to choose from. I pick out one pair of the yoga pants which are cut like slacks. When I get to the cash, I make sure to complain to management about the lack of service since this sort of thing has happened every time I’ve gone to that store in particular and the chain at large. I have no intention of shopping there ever again if I can find the stuff anywhere else.

3:25 p.m. From there I head to Winner’s, which is a big discount store to see if they have sweatpants in stock. I hate going to that store usually because they have so much merchandise pell-mell, flea market style, and of course there’s no service at all. It’s all completely overwhelming for me, so I usually end up with a migraine headache within 10 minutes of getting there. Turns out they don’t have sweatpants either but they do have a whole bunch of very affordable jeans. So I pick up jeans twice as large as my normal size to try on. Two of the pairs fit and are comfortable and I manage not to get freaked out by how much weight I’ve gained when I look in the mirrors of those awfully lit dressing rooms. I change into the yoga pants I got at the other store because I fear my lower half may require amputation if I continue wearing my old jeans which are cutting my circulation off. On my way out I also pick up a cute loose fitting knit dress with large grey and pink stripes for under 20 dollars. I figure I can wear it with leggings, and the color will appeal to my inner child. I may just wear it around the house while I’m sketching all my fantastic new drawings, for example.

4:20 p.m. Back to Future Shop loaded with a bunch of bags to pick up my printer. For a minute I fantasize about bringing home that iMac desktop computer again, but I snap back to reality and quickly realize I can’t carry all my heavy stuff in the metro, so I get a cab which takes me back home.

Now it’s much later at night, I’ve ordered Indian food (papadum, samosa, dal soup, lamb curry, cucumber raita) which I had with a Newcastle beer, for which I made a trip to the convenience store — also unheard of. I haven’t had a proper meal that’s not composed entirely of fruit or yogourt or breakfast cereal or matzo ball soup in a long time, I don’t get out of the house AT ALL once I’m in AND I haven’t had a drop alcohol in seven or eight months. Truly, as much as it sounds like a normal day, of the sort that I used to have all the time before, it was anything but an ordinary day.

I think it took as long writing about this day as doing it! It was fun, and amazingly I wasn’t freaked out by the downtown crowds, and while it was a much needed distraction from all the heavy emotional stuff I’d been going through for the past few days, I don’t have the intention of making a habit of costly and exhausting excursions like that. But does it mean I’m entering a new phase? That I’ll be running around and getting outside regularly and doing a bunch of activities again as I should be doing? Who knows.

One day at a time.
or as they say in Greece,
siga siga
(slowly slowly).

Pics by Smiler


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s