There are certain foods I crave almost every day, and then others which I have as special treats…
- Small pink grapefruits. Can’t get enough of these lately – sometimes up to 3 per day.
- Blueberries (and other berries). Fresh or frozen, I always keep some around to toss into cereal, yogourt or on a salad.
- Other fruit. Berries and grapefruit deserve their own categories, but then there are so many other kinds of fruits that are a big part of my diet. I can’t name them all but there are basics like apple, grapes, banana and oranges to pineapple, mango and papaya, pomegranates, every type of melon and much more. Did I mention I love fruit?
- Milk. I know many people are intolerant to milk, but I certainly am not. I have it in my tea, in my cereal, or as a drink to accompany toast with peanut butter and banana.
- Yogourt. One of the major staples of my diet. Usually served with berries and granola or as a Lassi, an indian yogourt drink often served with caraway seeds.
- Cheddar cheese. To make one of my favourites: grilled cheese sandwiches (on 12 grain bread), or have as a snack with crackers or served with tea, on top of toast and jam.
- Arugula. I use it in different ways but most often make huge salads of baby arugula topped with a good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, toasted pine nuts and Parmesan shavings.
- Vegetables. I normally keep the fridge well stocked with greens like broccoli, swiss chard, rapini, celery, carrot, tomatoes* and cucumber etc.
- Soup. I love all kinds of soup. An Indian lentil soup called Dal, chicken soup (with or without matzo balls), vegetable soup, miso soup. I just love soup.
- Sushi and Seafood. I don’t eat sushi quite so often lately, but I used to joke is was a separate food group for me, since I have been known to have it up to 4-5 times/week. Other than sushi I like salmon (fresh and smoked), and many white fish, scallops, crab, oysters and more (this is making me hungry).
- Red meat. Very seldom, on average once a month and less than that lately. But I do love a good quality steak and have to admit that lamb is my favorite of all. This doesn’t really jive with my love of animals, and I have been a vegetarian, but that’s a whole other topic.
- Ice creams, sweets and desserts. I have a sweet tooth. I don’t usually keep sweets around the house because I just can’t resist. But on occasion when I go to a restaurant, I like to finish off the meal with a dessert.
- Dark chocolate. I usually get a big craving for it about once a month and I wouldn’t dream of resisting.
I’m fairly sure that a nutritionist looking at this list would say I feed myself very well, and in theory I do, but I can’t honestly say that’s been representative of my diet lately. I tend to mostly stick to categories 1-7 these days, but then having room for improvement is always a good thing, I say.
* Of course, tomatoes are technically a fruit.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants